Hohenzollern Castle is a castle approximately 50 kilometers (31 mi) south of Stuttgart, Germany. It is considered the ancestral seat of the Hohenzollern family, which emerged in the Middle Ages and eventually became German Emperors.
The castle is located on top of Berg (Mount) Hohenzollern, at an elevation of 855 meters (2,805 ft) above sea level; 234 m (768 ft) above the towns of Hechingen[n 2] and nearby Bisingen, to the south. Both are located at the foothills of the Swabian Alps. The castle was first constructed in the early 11th century.
Over the centuries the House of Hohenzollern split into several branches, but the castle remained the property of the Swabian branch of the family, who were the dynastic seniors of the Franconian-
The third version of the castle, which remains standing today, was constructed for King Frederick William IV of Prussia between 1846 and 1867. The castle was built under the direction of the architect Friedrich August Stüler, who based his design on English Gothic Revival architecture and the Châteaux of the Loire Valley. It was built as a family memorial, thus, no member of the Hohenzollern family was in permanent or regular residence when it was completed. However, in 1945 it became the home of the former Crown Prince Wilhelm of Germany, son of the last Hohenzollern monarch, Kaiser Wilhelm II, who is buried there with his wife, Crown Princess Cecilie.
Among the historical artifacts of Prussian history contained in the castle are the Crown of Wilhelm II, some of the personal effects of King Frederick the Great and a letter from US President George Washington thanking Baron von Steuben[n 3] for his service in the American Revolutionary War. The castle is today a popular tourist destination.
GPS: 48.323417, 8.967361